How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a professional golfer and i am just starting

Customer Question

Hi i am currently a professional golfer and i am just starting to generate funds aside from tournament winnings and i honestly am not sure who exactly to discuss this matter with personally. In a sense that i understand that any money coming my way is treated as income. I have had some people suggest i incorporate and after having researched it... Im stumped. Do i want to register as an S corporation? A C corporation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

From what I understand from your situation, the type of situation you are in is very typical of golfers as such. In my opinion, you have both the options of either incorporating yourself as a C Corp OR a LLC. However, given the lesser administrative hassles, LLC should be more preferred.

Some professional golfers may even operate through a state level business entity such as a corporation or limited liability company. The formation of these entities is mostly intended to protect the golfer’s personal assets from claims arising from the business, but the choice of entity is also comprised of tax advantages and disadvantages of each entity.

Having said this, for tax purposes, the formation of a single owner limited liability company provides no additional tax issues to consider because the entity may be disregarded under the tax code. On the other hand, the formation of a corporation creates a separate tax entity and raises several more tax consequences in addition to those already discussed. The professional golfer has to file separate corporate returns with both the IRS and all relevant states in addition to his/her individual return. The professional golfer may be subject to double tax if the golfer chooses C corporation status, once at the corporate level and once at the individual level apart from paying himself a reasonable wage from the C Corp.

Given all the facts above -- with all other allowable deductions remaining same -- it is better from the administrative point of view that you incorporate yourself as a single member LLC.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question,

Warm Regards,