How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning
Type Your Finance Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just read this article on your website: and I have

Customer Question

Hi. I just read this article on your website: and I have a follow up question.
The article describes want I want to do, but I want to sell my personal vehicle to my S-Corp and be compensated the fair market value (about $10K). I own the vehicle outright. Any guidance?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

You can sell a personal vehicle to an S Corp in the usual fashion. However, the first thing to do is to document the vehicle condition and value ( or Then sell it to the S Corp at the documented value. (Take a few photos if possible). A bill of sale can be obtained at your DMV office. It will be needed to handle the transfer. Keep a copy for your records and expect to pay sales tax to DMV on the value. The key thing is to use a provable value and keep the records. Then enter the vehicle in the S Corp books as an asset purchase. If the S Corp is paying you all at once the entry can be made through cash disbursements. If not record a journal entry debiting the asset account and crediting an account called shareholder loans. If you will not be getting paid all at once you are permitted (not required) to charge interest on an amount this size. Transfer the insurance, get plates and you are done.