CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning
50756543

I just read this article on your website: and I have

Customer Question

Hi. I just read this article on your website: http://www.justanswer.com/finance/4gejx-s-corp-want-convert-personal-vehicle.html and I have a follow up question.
The article describes want I want to do, but I want to sell my personal vehicle to my S-Corp and be compensated the fair market value (about $10K). I own the vehicle outright. Any guidance?
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

You can sell a personal vehicle to an S Corp in the usual fashion. However, the first thing to do is to document the vehicle condition and value (www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com). Then sell it to the S Corp at the documented value. (Take a few photos if possible). A bill of sale can be obtained at your DMV office. It will be needed to handle the transfer. Keep a copy for your records and expect to pay sales tax to DMV on the value. The key thing is to use a provable value and keep the records. Then enter the vehicle in the S Corp books as an asset purchase. If the S Corp is paying you all at once the entry can be made through cash disbursements. If not record a journal entry debiting the asset account and crediting an account called shareholder loans. If you will not be getting paid all at once you are permitted (not required) to charge interest on an amount this size. Transfer the insurance, get plates and you are done.