TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Experience:  15 years of experience in financial advising with emphasis on tax issues.
14155347

Do you think that is allowed to purchase a medical insurance

Customer Question

Do you think that is allowed to purchase a medical insurance myself and my husband a different one? That is because my annual maximum by myself is 6k and if I add my husband would be 12k and I am the only person that uses the doctor and I need a surgery
now. What do you think?
Category: Finance
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

If you are looking to purchase through the marketplace, you will still need to include your husband in the household. You will have to Include all of these people (the tax filer, their spouse if they have one, and their tax dependents) even if they don’t need health coverage.

The Marketplace counts estimated income of all household members who are required to file a tax return.

If you don’t have coverage for all or part of the year, you may have to pay a fee. When you apply, you can say which household members need coverage and which don’t.

You and your spouse can be covered separately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I am asking is what is the difference between the individual out of pocket and family out of pocket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my husband is registered on the same insurance policy with me then do we both have to meet the individual out of pocket before it will cover us at 100 percent?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

That depends on your policy. A deductible is the amount you pay for health care services before your health insurance begins to pay. After that, you share the cost with your plan by paying coinsurance and copays.