How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask pramahaphil Your Own Question
pramahaphil, Accountant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  I have been a tax a finance professional for nearly 10 years with experience is personal, tax, and business financial matters.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
pramahaphil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My estimated tax payment was made twice on the same day. Can

Customer Question

My estimated tax payment was made twice on the same day. Can I have the extra payment refunded. I also need to amend my estimated tax worksheet - it was estimated for twice the amount.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  pramahaphil replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for choosing! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided. Unfortunately, you will not be able to get the extra estimated tax payment refunded (at least I have never seen it happen) prior to you filing your 2015 tax return. In my experience and advise is to simply best to stop making any more estimated payments and anticipate a refund of the excess when you file. You can also adjust your W-4's to have less deducted from payroll (if applicable) until 12/31.

You could call the IRS at 1-***-***-**** (or have your CPA, enrolled agent, or attorney call) and see if you (or they) have any luck pleading your case for a refund now. However, due to IRS' current budget and morale woes, the call will include a hour plus hold time and it is likely that agent on the other end will simply say "tough". Unfortunately, there is nothing that I know of statutorily that can force the refund at this point.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.