Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

I was married years, then divorced years, my husband that I

Customer Question

I was married for 26 years, then divorced for two years, my husband that I was married to for the 26 years passed away, I never remarried nor did he , I'm I entitled to his
SS benefits ???
Category: Finance
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting us to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide information to the best of my knowledge to assist you.
----------------------
You are entitled to his benefits if you meet the following requirements;
If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:
You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
REFERENCE SOURCE:
http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html
Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.