Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Have been renewed period 9/01/2015 - 8/30/2016.

Customer Question
Have been renewed for Medicaid...
Have been renewed for Medicaid for the period 9/01/2015 - 8/30/2016. Will turn
65 in December and, as required, will enroll in Medicare Part A during the IEP
(which also overlaps with the General Enrollment Period of 01/01 - 03/31). I was
assured that I only had to enroll in Medicare Part A as it is required by law and that,
for hospital visits, Medicare will become my primary insurance and United Health
Care (my managed care plan) will cover what Medicare does not. As for doctor
visits and prescriptions, I will retain managed care coverage during the 12 month
period as Medicaid never pushes anyone off of coverage. Therefore, UHC will be
my primary for doctors and prescription coverage since, as a Medicaid recipient, I cannot afford to pay for Medicare parts B and D, while I will use Medicare for
hospital visits. Of course, this will likely change when I have to renew next June
as I probably have too many assets.
Please confirm accuracy of what I was told by Medicaid Hot Line Reps.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
7/27/2015
Financial Professional: PDtax, CPA, MBA replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
It sounds like you have been given accurate information. Being a dual eligible (Medicare and Medicaid), you could enroll in both medicare A and B if you choose, but you addressed that. As UHS is providing your medicaid benefit, they subordinate to Medicare for part A. That makes sense too.
Since I can't review the interrelation between the two plans, I can't say for sure that your UHS Medicaid will cover what medicare does not, but it likely covers many gaps.
Your Medicaid renewal might be asset driven, but there are steps you can take to convert assets into qualifying ones. I can think of some conversions of retirement plans to annuity payouts, for example, that we set up to convert disqualifying assets into non-issues. I don't know if this applies to you, just throwing it out there.
Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
PDtax
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA