Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

My sister is mentally retarded and has never worked. She receives

Customer Question

My sister is mentally retarded and has never worked. She receives social security, but not enough to live on. Upon my parents death she is now living with me,as she cannot live alone. I am a RN who is employed full time, I do take her as a tax exemption. Is she able to receive Medicaid? She is 60 yrs. old.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting us to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide information to the best of my knowledge to assist you.
In order to better assist you, please let me know what state are you are located in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pa
Hello again,
Based on the following information, it appears that your sister will qualify for medicaid. SEE BELOW:
Pennsylvania Medicaid Eligibility Requirements - Non Income
Must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien and a Pennsylvania resident.
In addition, the MAGI Adult or Medicaid Expansion category covers low-income adults age 19-65 who do not otherwise qualify for medical assistance.
I will send more info and the reference source under separate cover shortly. I need to change computers right now.
How much social security is she receiving? For the purposes of Medicaid determination, social security income is taken into consideration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She receives $11091.00/yr. She does get Medicare.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since she lives with me and I take her as a tax deduction, as I do contribute more than 50% for her living expenses, does that make her non eligible because they count my income?
Hello again,
Income
Medical Assistance eligibility is determined using income and household size in comparison to income limits. Age and disability are also factors in determining which income limits apply. (Income limits for the various eligibility groups are listed below.)
Examples of income counted in determining eligibility include:
Wages (certain deductions are allowed)
Interest
Dividends
Social Security
Veterans' Benefits
Pensions
Spouse's income if living with him/her
Examples of income not counted when determining eligibility include:
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) benefits
Foster Care payments
Certain housing or utility subsidies
Weatherization Payments
-------------------------------
Resources
Medical Assistance eligibility is also determined using resource and household size in comparison to resource limits. (Resource limits for the various eligibility groups are listed below or in the section for that category.)
NOTE: Resource limits do not apply for families with children in the household, under their care and control, and under the age of 21.
Examples of resources counted in determining eligibility include:
Cash
Checking accounts
Savings accounts and certificates
Christmas or vacation clubs
Stocks and bonds
Some trust funds
Life insurance
Vehicles
Revocable burial funds
Non-resident property
Examples of resources not counted in determining eligibility include:
Your home
Revocable and irrevocable burial reserves subject to specified limits
Burial space and marker
One motor vehicle
Based on the above information and the income and resource limits specified on the reference source page, your sister will not qualify.
REFERENCE SOURCE:
http://www.dhs.state.pa.us/foradults/healthcaremedicalassistance/medicalassistancegeneraleligibilityrequirements/
Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am assuming that because I claim her as a dependent on my income tax the government considers us a household. If I were not to claim her would that make a difference?
Typically all individuals living in the same house would be considered a "household". I was looking for more specific information that would serve as a loophole regarding being claimed, or not being claimed as a dependent and I have not come across any information that indicates that if a person is not claimed as a dependent, they would not be counted as part of the "household".