Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Does a person qualify foe Medicaid at the age of 65 while they…

Customer Question
Does a person qualify foe...
Does a person qualify foe Medicaid at the age of 65 while they are in prison?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Finance
6/29/2015
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,If you can tell me your state, I may be able to get more informatin for you ... about whether your state has elected to expand medicaid ...
If you’re incarcerated you can use the Marketplace to apply for Medicaid coverage in your state. Medicaid won’t pay for your medical care while you’re in prison or jail. But if you enroll in Medicaid while you’re incarcerated you may be able to get needed care more quickly after you’re released.
There are 3 ways to apply for Medicaid:Online, at either HealthCare.gov or your state’s Marketplace website. (Get a checklist that will help you gather needed information before you apply (PDF).)With a Marketplace paper application (PDF) that you fill out and mail in.Directly through your state Medicaid office. Use the “Get state information” dropdown menu onthis Medicaid page to get contact information for your state Medicaid office.
SO, the short answer is YES, but becasue you're getting care there (for whatever that's worth) at this point ( legisltion IS constantly in flux) they won't pay while you're there (UNLESS If you’re in jail or prison but haven’t been convicted of a crime, and are incarcerated pending disposition of charges)....But if you enroll in Medicaid while you’re incarcerated you may be able to get needed care more quickly after you’re released.