How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 73 yrs. old and started collecting social at

Customer Question

My husband is 73 yrs. old and started collecting social at age 65 and I started collecting social sec. at 62 yrs. We have been married 10 yrs. & 4 mos. I have been told that if I divorce Glenn, I will have to be married ten yrs. (no children involved either side) to receive his Social Sec. which is $400.00 more than mine monthly. I have to wait two yrs. before I can collect his and not remarry for 2 yrs. in order to receive the higher amt (his). Is that true? Thank you for any advice, Patricia
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.
One thing is important to understand, while your husband or in the future your ex-husband is alive, you will not be able to collect his full Social Security. If you were able to collect a spousal benefit, it would only be a fraction of his Social Security. Generally that amount is 50% of his benefit, but in your case, since you started collecting at age 62, the amount would be more like 35% of his full benefit. That option would only apply if 35% of his full benefit were higher than your own full 100% benefit. You can never collect both.
Since you have been married for 10 years, if you were divorced from your husband, and haven't remarried, you would qualify to receive a portion of his benefit (as described above), in lieu of your own benefit as long as that portion of his benefit is higher than your own benefit, which is approximately 70% of your full benefit because you retired at 62.
Sorry if this isn't what you expected, but again, as long as your present husband is alive, you would not be entitled to his benefit. That possibly only applies if you were able to collect a widow's benefit after your husband dies.
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any additional questions or may I clarify anything for you? If not, please take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work. Thanks very much.