How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a taxpayer file as Head of Household if she pays more than

Customer Question

Can a taxpayer file as Head of Household if she pays more than 75% of household expenses if the qualifying person is a child (grandson) but not your dependent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting us to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide information to the best of my knowledge to assist you.
If all of the following qualifications are met to file as HOH, yes, you may file as HOH. SEE BELOW:
You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year and file a separate tax return with a qualifying child. See A Qualifying Child and Who is a qualifying person? in the following sections.
You are considered unmarried if a spouse did not live in the home during the last 6 months of the year and your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year.
You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
The child or dependent lived with you —
If you are separated or divorced, your spouse cannot have lived in your home during the last 6 months of the year.
Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
I have a different answer.
No. Only one person may claim a qualifying person.
Let me know if you have questions ...
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Original Expert Here.
While only one taxpayer can claim a qualifying person, you must take into consideration ALL of the other qualifications as well. For clarification purposes, if the taxpayer does NOT meet ALL of the qualifications indicated, they cannot claim HOH.