How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Megan, I have a tax question. Can someone offset

This answer was rated:

Hi Megan,

I have a tax question. Can someone offset long and/or short term capital gains with a business loss?



Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

Megan C :

Yes, a business loss would offset your other income. You will still show a capital gain on your tax return, but that amount would be offset by the business loss.


Great Megan! Thanks for your quick response.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks, Jim for requesting me! It was a pleasure working with you today! Come back and see me any time. Thanks also for the generous bonus!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Very welcome Megan! I'm glad to have you as a resource for my business!