How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  NASD Licensed Rep, 1997-2001, Business Attorney
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Mr. Kaplan, It was the judge who brought this

This answer was rated:

Dear Mr. Kaplan,
It was the judge who brought this issue to our attention. The problem started when in the year of 2002, someone put the address of our first house on the cover page of a document that is registered with the New York City department of Finance. There is a well known funeral director who owned a lot of property and sold some of it off. The problem he never owned our home and it some how turned up on the cover page of the contract that is on line with the New York City Department of Finance.
Big Question:
I told my dad that we should hire a lawyer and correct the problem. My dad said he will just go to the New York City Agency and have them correct the problem.
Carlotta M Brown


Thank you for your follow-up. Now I understand. It does not hurt to first try to get this resolved via the state agency. My fear and my concern that even with your father making a case for this, the agency may claim it has no power to formally change ownership on title absent a clear mistake. In that case going to court would be a requirement. So far in this case it would be wiser to try to resolve it without counsel but be prepared to hire one since I would place little faith in the bureaucracy.

Hope that clarifies!

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you