How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an independent contractor living and working in CA. I

This answer was rated:

I am an independent contractor living and working in CA. I make phone calls for a realtor (who is also an independent contractor). He pays me for my work - a flat fee for any deal that closes. I'm thinking of moving to Texas and continuing to work for him (as I mentioned, it is all phone-based). My question is: do you think I'd be subject to CA taxes? I am sure CA would get a copy of 1099s sent to them by the IRS so a CA person paying a TX resident may raise a red flag?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question and thanks for using

Megan C :

If you live in texas, and perform all your work in texas, then you do not have a California tax nexus.

Megan C :

If you perform services inside of California, then you must pay tax there.

Megan C :

If all this is done by telecommuting then you would not be subject to California tax


OK. Thanks.

Megan C and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks, Harold for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me again! It was a pleasure working with you today