Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

hi my question is I have been with my tax accountant for the

last 5 years they do...
hi my question is I have been with my tax accountant for the last 5 years they do my wifes tax accessment every year at a cost of £75 she earns about £9,500 every year but last year she earned £10,500 so my accountant has decided to charge me £180 for balancing the books when I never even asked him to do that can you tell me if it his legal to do that

kind regards
mr g bamsey
9/24/2013
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. From what I understand from your question, the situation here is more of ethics rather than legality. I feel this is grossly unethical on part of your accountant.

Having said this, almost all the times, the fees that the accountant would charge is decided well in advance. It is also predetermined as to in what circumstances he would be charging you higher amount.

I do not know if is merely a book keeper. If he is a chartered accountant, you can certainly file a complaint. Kindly refer:

http://www.icaew.com/en/about-icaew/what-we-do/act-in-the-public-interest/complaints-process

If not, then I would advise you just to plainly refuse him and find another accountant. If you do so, please make sure you decide upon terms of service clearly.

I am sure this would help. Please feel free to revert back with a reply if you need further assistance. Alternatively, please spare a moment to rate this positively.

Warm Regards,
Rakhi Vasavada

hi rakhi

he is a accountant and not a honest one at that, he has sent me a letter if the £180 is not paid withun 7 days he will pass it on to the dept recovery agents in is letter this money is owed for accounts production what ever that is,i am very angry with this man this £180 is on top of the £75 I paid him for doing my tax return I still don't think I should pay this man the money for something I never asked him to do 6 weeks ago he told me I should have told you back in 2009 about this in a letter he sent me it states he did tell me about it the man is nothing but a lair, I would be gratefull if you could if you can give me some information that could help me deal with this man

kind regards

mr g bamsey

Dear Gareth,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your follow up reply.

Let me put it very straight. He is just threatening you. He want some more money just because you have made more this year. Nothing in the law anywhere provides that you should have told him back in 2009.

I would again go back to my original advice. Just plainly refuse him. In this case, now, just refuse him in writing and threaten to initiate disciplinary action against him if he continue with such behavior.

Also, you may proceed lodging a formal complaint simultaneously through

I am sure he will just not do anything apart from threatening you once he gets to know your intentions.

Warm Regards
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada