How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4545
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Question about how to get a Will in place & put my husbands

This answer was rated:

Hi, Question about how to get a Will in place & put my husband's name on our house. It's in my name now.
If this is an area with which you are comfortable... My husband & I purchased a home, lots of furniture 2 cars & appliances together. We are one another's life ins. beneficiaries. We have one child together and 3 others.  Pretty sure he's a keeper. We've known one another since I was 6.

Rakhi Vasavada :

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for proving an opportunity to assist.

Before I begin, kindly clarify if I have understood correctly. You need to do two things,

1. Put your husband's name on the house; and
2. Prepare a will.

Rakhi Vasavada :

Is this what yo are looking for ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the house was purchased only in my name, we owe under $100,000. We need to add his name if possible. We also need to prepare a Will.

Dear Oshunda,

Hello and welcome again. Thank you for your reply.

If you have a mortgage on your name, adding another name to the tile will have some benefits as well. You need to be aware that once added to the mortgage title, the person will be legally responsible for part of the mortgage payments; he will also have claim to the home’s equity. If the person being added to the mortgage title has a good credit score, then you could qualify for a lower interest rate.

This would be certainly possible. I would advice you to remain ready with the other person's all financial documents such as tax returns, W2s, year end bank statements, etc. Then, you should contact the lender and ask for necessary formalities to be done. He will guide you through rest of the process. You can also use your real estate broker for this if you need.

The following is for your general reference.

Now coming to the will part.

I do not know which State you are currently in. So, to prepare your will, there are two ways. Just contact your State Bar Association -- Most State Bar Associations have public service for lawyers referrals. They will direct you to the person best suited for your requirements.

The second option is to use services as under. They are relatively cheaper as well.

I am sure this would help. You may please leave a positive rating if this helped or please feel absolutely free to revert back with further queries and I would be more than happy to keep assisting you.

Warm Regards
Rakhi Vasavada and 2 other Finance Specialists are ready to help you