Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Hi - In Hong Kong, I want to know how the share transfer agents

get the latest information about...
Hi - In Hong Kong, I want to know how the share transfer agents get the latest information about who owns their shares - is this info provided by the depositories? If so at what frequency? Or is it available from market information vendors? If so, can you please provide some links?

Thank you - Regards XXXXX XXXXX
8/21/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

Hi Bhavani,

NPVAdvisor :

They get it from the depository/custodian

NPVAdvisor :

It is provided again when the shares change owners

NPVAdvisor :

Now, if this is PRIVATE non-registered stock, there will be no transfer agent and the information is kept by the organization itself (the company, for example, in which you which you are an investor/owner)

NPVAdvisor :

Here are three links that deal with the various transfer agents that my apply in Hong-Kong, depending on the class of/type of equities you own:

NPVAdvisor :

Let me know if you have questions ... I hope this has been helpful

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Thank you for your response. But some more details will help.

In Hong Kong, if the transfer agent wants to get regular information on ownership of share holding (i.e., the change in ownership as shares are bought and sold), who they should approach? Normally, the depository provides the share holder information ahead of corporate actions. Do the depositories also give the information on a on-demand basis? Or is there a regular feed that they provide which can be subscribed to? If so, can you please share the link for the details / process around this? Thank you.

The transfer agent has a contract with the Company.

The Company (in which you are invested) pays the transfer agent to keep track of ownership.

These stocks, if they are public stocks are traded on one of the platforms, e.g., Fundsettle, Vestima, NSCC, EMX.

The transfer agent is connected to these platforms electronically

For most transfer agents this information is real-time. JPM's Asain "follow the sun" operating model, for example has anti-dilution levies, swing pricing, flexible notice periods. And intra day pricing and settlement, multiple settlement cycles and share class hedging are all supported as well.

The contract that the company has with the transfer agent will specify the particulars.

Note that Computershare, for example, has portals for the company itself ("issuers"), investors, companies with employee stock plans and IPOs as well here: http://www.computershare.com/hk-en/pages/default.aspx

Thanks again. What about Hong Kong? Does the depository/ stock exchange allow transfer agents to get online data of share holders / changes in share holding ?

Yes,

All of the links I provided, for example were either transfer agents in Hong-Kong or Asian desks for global operations that address hong-king shares and/or hong-kong investors that invest globally.

Short answer is that (if the stock HAS a transfer agent), they will be using one (at least one) of the platforms mentioned above and have access to the data in real-time.

...your positive rating is thanks enough (that's the only way I will be paid for my time).

Thank YOU

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Thanks for the feedback Bhavani.

I appreciate it!

Lane
Hi Bhavani,

This is Lane, ... just checking back in to see how things are going, and to tell you I appreciated your business!

I enjoyed working with you!

If I can ever help again, let me know.

Either reply here or say "FOR LANE ONLY, at the beginning of another question.

Thanks again,
Lane

Hi - Thank you for following up. I too enjoy working with you. I am looking for info on the following:

a. In US, there is the concept of OBO/NOBO shareholders. Is this concept /practice applicable in Hong Kong/ Singapore markets?

b. When transfer agents need beneficial share holder information, do they have to approach the central depository in Hong Kong/ Singapore? And in turn the individual depositary participants who may have the omnibus accounts ? If so, what fees, if at all, they have to pay to get this data?

c. When a company changes TA, do the new TA get the existing shareholder data from the old TA? If so, what charges are to be paid?

Thanks.

Hi Bhavani,

I will be in meetings until 6:00 (ea), US time, this evening and then have a conference call scheduled for 8:00.

I will very quickly tell you that the beneficial owners request will be honored by those custodians that are global in Nature and whose practices are standardized to the US standard (which is a legal issue, in the US)

The smaller and more provincial/localized the custodian, the less likely to allow for that information sharing choice to be dictated by a global standard.

What this really comes down to is government and organizational governance.

For example Some companies require a shareholder or its representative to vote in person, prohibit voting by mail,only permit a proxy to be delegated to another shareholder, or limit the ability of shares to be
transferred before the shareholders meeting.

Some markets – including Russia and Hungary -- require documentation that is troublesome to provide – e.g., powers of attorney, articles of incorporate – sometimes per event or annually.

In Singapore ... only a limited number of proxy cards are provided. Nominees receive 2 proxy cards and must aggregate client votes.

A physical presence is required to vote in a number of markets, including China.

So these various shareholder rules that affect voting rights of stockholders end up driving the level of information sharing either directly or indirectly.

Again, this is just what comes to mind quickly ... that jurisdiction changes the nature of Objecting and non-objecting. I will do more research into the specifics of Hong Kong tomorrow if that's OK with you.

On questions B and C, I would have to research those as well. I CAN tell you that in both cases those charges will only indirectly affect share price as they are a part of the company's cost, but not a shareholder borne cost.

Again, I hope tomorrow will be OK. If not, feel free to have customer service re-list.

Thanks
Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS