Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

This is primarily an accounting question. My client paid money

to a consultant for advice...
This is primarily an accounting question. My client paid money to a consultant for advice and assistance in developing a marketing strategy. Is this payment considered a current year expense or does it need to be amortized over time.

The second part of the question is the treatment of the franchisee fees they receive. These fees are for the purchase of the franchise and do not include royalty payments. Is this revenue when the sale consummates or is this also amortized over time.

If they require amortization, how long are they amortized over
8/7/2013
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant

Randalltax :

Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

Randalltax :

Fees paid to a consultant for current advice are generally deductible as an ordinary expense in the year paid.

Randalltax :

Fees paid to me for this advice are deductible in 2013 !

Randalltax :

Franchise fees PAID OUT are generally amortized over a 15 year life regardless of the length of time of the franchise agreement. If the franchise agreement ends before 15 years, the unamortized amount is deducted in the final year of the agreement.

Randalltax :

Franchise fees RECEIVED are current year income. You cannot amortize income.

Due to a technical issue, I am reposting the response

8/7/13 4:55 PM
8/7/13 4:55 PM
8/7/13 4:57 PM
8/7/13 4:57 PM
Franchise fees RECEIVED are current year income. You cannot amortize income

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

The franchisor company paid $30K to a company to do the leg work to develop and execute a marketing plan. That is also a current year expense correct.

It is a current expense.
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant