Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

If a parent owes $10,000 in back taxes for over the last 4

years, will the IRS release...
If a parent owes $10,000 in back taxes for over the last 4 years, will the IRS release the tax info for the year 2012 to a state school so that the daughter of the parent mentioned can use the tax information to apply for school loans. Students have to use the tax information of the parent to apply for loans.
7/16/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS will not hold back your information simply because you have back taxes

MyVirtualCPA :

The information will be able to be used by your child to apply for financial aid

Customer:

I am the grandmother of the child trying to get her dad's (who is my son) info. This is what he told her and the school has no record

Customer:

of their info

MyVirtualCPA :

When you fill out the fafsa you put that information in

Customer:

I guess she had to wait to get it from him. And now he is saying itis filed and

Customer:

all the school has to do it go to the IRS and get it

Customer:

His wife also told me the IRS would not release the info

MyVirtualCPA :

No, when you fill out the FAFSA you enter in that information. The school does not receive anything from the IRS

Customer:

and her hands were tied

MyVirtualCPA :

So, your son would have to give his daughter that information, and she would put it in her FAFSA application

MyVirtualCPA :

If her father lost the information, all he needs to do is request a transcript from the IRS by calling 1-800-829-1040

Customer:

So, I guess he is just giving her the run around

Customer:

Getting a transcript of the info is something that can be done

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you can get a transcript but the taxpayer would have to be the one to request it

MyVirtualCPA :

the school wouldn't request that information

Customer:

OK...thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful. At least we might can get

Customer:

him to get the info

MyVirtualCPA :

Glad I could be of help. Please let me know if you need anything else, and please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax needs. IT was a pleasure working with you today.