How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have several tax-related questions about retired U.S. citizen

This answer was rated:

I have several tax-related questions about retired U.S. citizen living in Colombia. Is it true that there is no Colombian income tax liability for the first five years? Can foreign tax credit be claimed on an U.S. income tax return for Colombian income tax paid?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

MyVirtualCPA :

you're correct - colombia only charges income tax if you have lived there continuously or cumulatively for 5 years

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, you can claim a foreign tax credit in the United States for taxes that were paid to Colombia


Can I contact you later for more questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you may contact us for more questions. If satisfied so far, please rate as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you