How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single woman (56 years old) and will need to take a

This answer was rated:

I am a single woman (56 years old) and will need to take a withdrawal from an annuity. I need to know if the automatic 10% for IRS is sufficient or if I should request they withhold 20%?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using I would request that your withholding be raised to 20% to account for federal income tax

MyVirtualCPA :

It's better to have a refund at the end of the year, than to have tax due on something such as your annuity withdrawal at the end of the year


Thank you for that confirmation. I didn't think 10% was enough, but I wanted to be sure, and a refund is always better than a Bill.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, it is

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you