How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being audited for charitable contribtions on my 2010 return

Customer Question

I am being audited for charitable contribtions on my 2010 return where I claimed $4,897 for expenses associated with being a Troop co-leader of Girl Scouts of America. I provided copies of about 100 receipts for out-of-pocket, unreimbursed expenses for goods to support our troop activities like camping trip supplies, snacks at meetings, investiture celebrations, craft supplies at our bi-weekly meetings, etc. Only 4 of te receipts were slightly over $250. I never informed Girl Scouts of my expenses, thus never got a receipt from them for these donations. Because I did not provide the IRS with a receipt from Girl Scouts dated PRIOR to the due date of the 2010 return, they are denying my deduction 100%. How would you advise me to provide additional documentation to get the deduction. Clearly it is past the due date of the return so is it even worth asking Girl Scouts to verify my expenses?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

Unfortunately, you're in a situation where the IRS is correct. You needed to have a letter dated by the due date of the return from the charity confirming any donation over $250. Since you did not have that letter, the IRS will disallow the deduction.

So, in my opinion, it's not worth asking the girl scouts for verification because they are not going to write you a letter and back date it nearly two years ago.

You can CLICK HERE for IRS guidance on this topic.

I'm truly sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry if this information is not favorable. Please keep in mind that your rating of this answer reflects me personally, so please take that into consideration when issuing your rating. Thanks again for using and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer