How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a treasurer for a small church. Before I became treasurer

This answer was rated:

I am a treasurer for a small church. Before I became treasurer the previous pastor had a 403B retirement acct that he would withhold 100/month and the church would match. When the pastor left the previous treasurer attempted to send the money owed to the retirement acct. Problem is the check was returned twice and shows the acct was closed.
That was 3 years ago and I'm trying to find out what to do with the money that our books show is owed. Attempted to contact the previous pastor to get info with no luck. Just want to clear the books and don't know how. Thanks

Dear Friend,


Since there is no trace of the previous employee and also since the account is closed, you will not be able to complete the church's contribution to the said 403 B Account.


However, as you say, the said amount must be showing as a liability in the account books.


You have a option. IRS allows to contribute for a former employee. Your church may chose to open a new account, if possible make contribution for the former employee, i.e. former pastor.

I quote from IRS FAQ, " Can an employer contribute to a 403(b) plan for a former employee?"


Yes, if the plan allows, an employer can make non elective contributions, up to the annual limits ($49,000 for 2011 and subject to annual cost-of-living increases), to a former employee's account for 5 years after the date of severance. However, no portion of these contributions can come from money otherwise payable to the former employee by the employer and must cease at the death of the former employee."


Refer,,id=172433,00.html for details.


So, consult a local accountant and see if this can be done. This may be possible.


See if this helps... Don't hesitate to revert for further help or clarifications.


Warm Regards,

Rakhi Vasavada and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you