How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

as part of a divocre judgement, I was awarded 50% of my former

Customer Question

as part of a divocre judgement, I was awarded 50% of my former husbands' pension plan for a period of 10 years. He now wants to "buy" me out of the pension plan and modify the existing order. How do I determine what is a fair amount?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 5 years ago.

Dear Madam,


In my opinion, you may try and arrive at this figure using the "present value of future money" method. This would be a simple calculation. Through this calculation you will determine the value of money TODAY of the series of payments that you would have otherwise received over a period of time.


Here, if you are due to receive, say $ 1,000 Per Month for next Ten years, the present value of money will help you arrive at a figure which you can receive as a lump sum TODAY and forego the future money. I think, this is what you are trying to work out.


The following link will help you in understanding this concept


The method of calculating is given at . Just put in your figures and it will help you at a fair value of the receivables that you have over the period of years TODAY.


Don't hesitate to come up for further clarifications / assistance.


I am sure this would help...

Warm Regards,