How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Taxtom Your Own Question
Taxtom, Accountant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 2364
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Taxtom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his wife were advised to stop making their mortgage

Customer Question

My son and his wife were advised to stop making their mortgage pmts over 2 years ago (they also had a 2nd mortgage). After a year of no payments the we forced out and the home was sold at auction. Bank of America held the 2nd and has now sent a collection agency after them. They are now renters, and can barely scrape by. What are their options?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, They really have only two options, one reach a payment agreement with the bank to pay off the debt or file the debt in banktuptcy. Nevada laws allows 6 years to file to suit to recover the amount owed. They may be able to settle the debt for a fraction what is owed if they can come up with money to do so. Thanks Tom