How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Taxtom Your Own Question
Taxtom, Accountant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 2364
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Taxtom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex-husband started receiving his soc. security payments

Resolved Question:

my ex-husband started receiving his soc. security payments at age 63. He started in l993 and died in 2003. We were divorced after 26 years of marriage in 1981.
I started receiving his soc. sec. payments in 2003 when he died but before that I received
only half. People tell me I should have received the full amount of his payment at the same time he retired. Am I owed some of the retirement money? Thank you for your answer..... Martina E. Elenbaas
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.
Hello, As a spouse or ex-spouse you receive 1/2 of his benefit or all of your benefit whichever is greater. So it was done correctly. Thanks Tom
Taxtom and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you