How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  Bachelors degree and CPA with Accounting experience.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have stock losses from 2009 I can only write off $3,000

This answer was rated:

If I have stock losses from 2009 I can only write off $3,000 per year until those losses are written off. But if I also have losses in 2010 can I write off another $3,000 per year? Or is $3,000 the max I can write off until the together balances are deducted?
Hello Customer,

Thanks for your question.

You can only deduct up to $3000 ($1500 if married filing separate) in overall capital losses per year. So you would add your 2009 carryover loss to your 2010 net capital loss and deduct $3000 from that figure to claim on your 2010 return and carryover the remaining loss to 2011.

Best regards,
JKCPA and 3 other Finance Specialists are ready to help you