How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Taxtom Your Own Question
Taxtom, Accountant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 2364
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Taxtom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my dad upgrade his home in order to get my mother out of

Customer Question

Can my dad upgrade his home in order to get my mother out of the nursing home without affecting look back regulations?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, I need some clarification, Is your father want to be an addition on his house and does he need to meet building regulations since it is for a medical or disability reason? Thanks Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, he needs to buy a new house, currantly living in a tired trailer, value of about 5,000.00.
Thats right only $5,000.00. He has about 300,000.00 in total assets. A new home for their needs would be about $150,000. Would that be considered a spend down and then my mother could qualify for medicaid?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
took to long, never mind
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.
Hello, You do not have to accept but since I am here I will answer. They will allow as a spend down but they will impose a delay pentality of about a year before they will qualify for Medicaid. Thanks Tom