Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

1) Which of the following categories of owners have limited…

Customer Question
1) Which of the following...
1) Which of the following categories of owners have limited liability?
A. General partners
B. Sole proprietors
C. Shareholders of a corporation
D. Both a and b

2) Which of the following best describes the goal of the firm?
A. The maximization of the total market value of the firm’s common stock]
B. Profit maximization
C. Risk minimization
D. None of the above

3) The true owners of the corporation are the:
A. preferred stockholders.
B. common stockholders.
C. board of directors of the firm.
D. holders of debt issues of the firm.

4) Which of the following does NOT involve underwriting by an investment banker?
A. Negotiated purchases
B. Commission basis purchases
C. Syndicated purchases
D. Competitive bid purchases

5) Money market instruments include:
A. common stock.
B. corporate bonds.
C. bankers’ acceptances.
D. preferred stock.

6) __________ is a method of offering securities to a limited number of investors.
A. Syndicated underwriting
B. Public offering
C. Initial public offering
D. Private placement

7) According to the agency problem, _________ represent the principals of a corporation.
A. suppliers
B. employees
C. shareholders
D. managers

8) Difficulty in finding profitable projects is due to:
A. opportunity costs.
B. ethical dilemmas.
C. social responsibility.
D. competitive markets.

9) Which of the following is NOT a principle of basic financial management?
A. Profit is king
B. Efficient capital markets
C. Risk/return tradeoff
D. Incremental cash flow counts

10) The accounting rate of return on stockholders’ investments is measured by:
A. realized rate of inflation.
B. operating income return on investment.
C. return on assets.
D. return on equity.

11) Another name for the acid test ratio is the:
A. quick ratio.
B. current ratio.
C. average collection period.
D. inventory turnover ratio.

12) Which of the following financial ratios is the best measure of the operating effectiveness of a firm’s management?
A. Gross profit margin
B. Current ratio
C. Return on investment
D. Quick ratio

13) You have $10,000 to invest. You do not want to take any risk, so you will put the funds in a savings account at the local bank. Of the following choices, which one will produce the largest sum at the end of 22 years?
A. An account that compounds interest daily
B. An account that compounds interest annually
C. An account that compounds interest monthly
D. An account that compounds interest quarterly

14) Northwest Bank pays a quoted annual (nominal) interest rate of 4.75%. However, it pays interest (compouned) daily using a 365-day year. What is the effective annual rate of return (APY)?
A. 5.02%
B. 4.75%
C. 4.86%
D. 3.61%

15) Suppose that you wish to save for your child's college education by opening up an educational IRA. You plan to deposit $100 per month into the IRA for the next 18 years. Assume that you will be able to earn 10%, compounded monthly, on your investment. How much will you have accumulated at the end of 18 years?
A. $33,548
B. $21,600
C. $85,920
D. $60,056
E. $54,719

16) Which of the following is NOT a basic function of a budget?
A. Budgets provide the basis for corrective action when actual figures differ from the budgeted figures.
B. Budgets indicate the need for future financing.
C. Budgets allow for performance evaluation.
D. Budgets compare historical costs of the firm with its current cost performance.

17) Which of the following statements about the percent-of-sales method of financial forecasting is true?
A. It projects all liabilities as a fixed percentage of sales.
B. It is the least commonly used method of financial forecasting.
C. It involves estimating the level of an expense, asset, or liability for a future period as a percent of the forecast for sales revenues.
D. It is a much more precise method of financial forecasting than a cash budget would be.

18) The primary purpose of a cash budget is to:
A. determine the estimated income tax for the year.
B. determine the level of investment in current and fixed assets.
C. provide a detailed plan of future cash flows.
D. determine accounts payable.

19) Which of the following is a non-cash expense?
A. Administrative salaries
B. Depreciation expenses
C. Packaging costs
D. Interest expense

20) A plant can remain operating when sales are depressed:
A. unless variable costs are zero when production is zero.
B. if the selling price per unit exceeds the variable cost per unit.
C. in an effort to cover at least some of the variable cost.
D. to help the local economy.

21) The break-even model enables the manager of a firm to:
A. determine the optimal amount of debt financing to use.
B. calculate the minimum price of common stock for certain situations.
C. determine the quantity of output that must be sold to cover all operating costs.
D. set appropriate equilibrium thresholds.

22) At what rate must $400 be compounded annually for it to grow to $716.40 in 10 years?
A. 8%
B. 6%
C. 7%
D. 5%

23) Which of the following is the formula for compound value?
A. FVn = P(1+i)-n
B. FVn = P(1+i)n
C. FVn = P/(1+i)n
D. FVn = (1+i)/P

24) If you have $20,000 in an account earning 8% annually, what constant amount could you withdraw each year and have nothing remaining at the end of five years?
A. $5,008.76
B. $3,525.62
C. $3,408.88
D. $2,465.78
37) PepsiCo uses 30-year Treasury bonds to measure the risk-free rate because:
A. these bonds are essentially free of business risk.
B. they capture the long-term inflation expectations of investors associated with investments in long-term assets.
C. these bonds are essentially free of interest rate risk.
D. none of the above.

38) The most expensive source of capital is:
A. preferred stock.
B. new common stock.
C. retained earnings.
D. debt.

39) The marginal cost of preferred stock is equal to:
A. (1 - tax rate) times the preferred stock dividend divided by net price.
B. the preferred stock dividend divided by market price.
C. the preferred stock dividend divided by its par value.
D. the preferred stock dividend divided by the net market price.

40) The expected dividend is $2.50 for a share of stock priced at $25. What is the cost of retained earnings if the long-term growth in dividends is projected to be 8%?
A. 25%
B. 10%
C. 8%
D. 18%

41) The XYZ Company is planning a $50 million expansion. The expansion is to be financed by selling $20 million in new debt and $30 million in new common stock. The before-tax required rate of return on debt is 9%, and the required rate of return on equity is 14%. If the company is in the 40% tax bracket, what is the marginal cost of capital?
A. 10.6%
B. 14.0%
C. 9.0%
D. 11.5%

42) Shawhan Supply plans to maintain its optimal capital structure of 30% debt, 20% preferred stock, and 50% common stock far into the future. The required return on each component is: debt–10%; preferred stock–11%; and common stock–18%. Assuming a 40% marginal tax rate, what after-tax rate of return must Shawhan Supply earn on its investments if the value of the firm is to remain unchanged?
A. 10.0%
B. 18.0%
C. 13.0%
D. 14.2%

43) Zybeck Corp. projects operating income of $4 million next year. The firm’s income tax rate is 40%. Zybeck presently has 750,000 shares of common stock which have a market value of $10 per share, no preferred stock, and no debt. The firm is considering two alternatives to finance a new product: (a) the issuance of $6 million of 10% bonds, or (b) the issuance of 60,000 new shares of common stock. If Zybeck issues common stock this year, what will projected EPS be next year?
A. $2.33
B. $2.10
C. $2.96
D. $1.67

44) Lever Brothers has a debt ratio (debt to assets) of 40%. Management is wondering if its current capital structure is too conservative. Lever Brothers’s present EBIT is $3 million, and profits available to common shareholders are $1,560,000, with 342,857 shares of common stock outstanding. If the firm were to instead have a debt ratio of 60%, additional interest expense would cause profits available to stockholders to decline to $1,440,000, but only 228,571 common shares would be outstanding. What is the difference in EPS at a debt ratio of 60% versus 40%?
A. $3.25
B. $1.75
C. $2.00
D. $4.50

45) Lever Brothers has a debt ratio (debt to assets) of 20%. Management is wondering if its current capital structure is too conservative. Lever Brothers’s present EBIT is $3 million, and profits available to common shareholders are $1,680,000, with 457,143 shares of common stock outstanding. If the firm were to instead have a debt ratio of 40%, additional interest expense would cause profits available to stockholders to decline to $1,560,000, but only 342,857 common shares would be outstanding. What is the difference in EPS at a debt ratio of 40% versus 20%?
A. $2.12
B. $1.95
C. $0.88
D. $1.16

46) A bond sold simultaneously in several different foreign capital markets, but denominated in a currency different from the country in which the bond is issued, is called a(n):
A. world bond.
B. international capital bond.
C. Eurobond.
D. floating bond.

47) Which of the following statements about exchange rates is true?
A. Exchange rates were fixed prior to establishing a floating-rate international currency system, and all countries set a specific parity rate for their currency relative either to the Canadian or to the U.S. dollar.
B. Day-to-day fluctuations in exchange rates currently are caused by changes in parity rates.
C. A floating-rate international currency system has been operating since 1973.
D. All of the choices.

48) _________ risk is generally considered only a paper gain or loss.
A. Transaction
B. Translation
C. Financial
D. Economic

49) The interplay between interest rate differentials and exchange rates such that both adjust until the foreign exchange market and the money market reach equilibrium is called the:
A. purchasing power parity theory.
B. balance of payments quantum theory.
C. arbitrage markets theory.
D. interest rate parity theory.

50) A spot transaction occurs when one currency is:
A. deposited in a foreign bank.
B. immediately exchanged for another currency.
C. traded for another at an agreed-upon future price.
D. exchanged for another currency at a specified price.

51) If the quote for a forward exchange contract is greater than the computed price, the forward contract is:
A. overvalued.
B. undervalued.
C. at equilibrium.
D. a good buy.

52) Buying and selling in more than one market to make a riskless profit is called:
A. profit maximization.
B. arbitrage.
C. cannot be determined from the above information.
D. international trading.

53) An important (additional) consideration for a direct foreign investment is:
A. political risk.
B. maximizing the firm’s profits.
C. attaining a high international P/E ratio.
D. all of the above.

54) One reason for international investment is to reduce:
A. advantages in a foreign country.
B. portfolio risk.
C. price-earnings (P/E) ratios.
D. beta risk.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Finance
6/30/2010
Financial Professional: Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor replied 7 years ago
Manal Elkhoshkhany

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Please advise your deadline. I have also sent you a message through management, please check your email

Thank you

What else do you need?

As I have advised above, I need to know your deadline, and you will also get an email from management

Thank you

I dont see a green accept button
My deadline is midnight tonight
Have you received a message from management? It would say "Action required" in the subject
yes but there is no accept button
admin told me you have to post it before i can accept it
i am more than happy to give you 25 dollars for this
please post the homework so i can review it and accept

Please note that I have answered your questions on the other post. Here is the link:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3owts-i-got-an-extension-on-that-homework-please-hurry

For future posts, please make sure you take the length of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant