Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

what are the tax consequences if I take out money from my IRA…

Customer Question
what are the tax consequences...
what are the tax consequences if I take out money from my IRA to pay for my delinquent mortgage payments to avoid forclosure?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Finance
6/20/2010
Financial Professional: Taxtom, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant

Hello, If you are under the age of 59 1/2 you would pay a penalty of 10% and state and federal taxes. It usually adds up to between 30 and 40 percent with penalty. I usually don't advise taking money out of a retirement account but if this a temporary problem and once you get caught up you can maintain the payments that is would be a good decision. Take out only whats absolutely necessary. Keep in mind they will usually withhold federal taxes in the amount of 10 to 20 percent so be sure to ask before you withdraw so you will have enough to cover your mortgage. Also have you made any attempt to have your mortgage modified with your changes in circumstances or the change in the value of your home. Here is a link to the Making Home Affordable website http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/ and here is a link to the IRS's website which will explain early withdrawal cost more http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=201870,00.html . Thank You Tom Please click accept.