Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My father recently passed away and there is evidence that he…

Customer Question
My father recently passed away...
My father recently passed away and there is evidence that he had stock in at least one company. Is there a way to define how much stock my father had in any specific company?

Thanks so much in advance!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2010
Financial Professional: Eric, Financial Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Financial Manager

I appreciate the opportunity to help!

That may prove to be a bit difficult to find out unless you are the executor/beneficiary of the stocks. If the stocks were held at a broker, then it's easier. If its stock certificates in different companies, then each company would have to be contacted and dealt with separately. Being executor, you have the control over the estate and can obtain that info once you verify that info and provide a death certificate to them. If there is no executor and other family, then you could have a probate issue and have an executor named. Make some phone calls and have the death certificate ready. Just see if you can get the info and ask their procedure on handling beneficiaries, etc.