How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Financeer Your Own Question
Financeer, Financial Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 922
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Economics - Sole proprietor of Tax Prep and All Things Financial firm.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Financeer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my name off my sons student loans

Resolved Question:

My son is now 30, on his own, and late on student loan payments. It has wrecked my credit score which used to be over 800. How do I get my name off these loans?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Financeer replied 9 years ago.
Hi beth,

You chose the best first step. However, with today's credit markets the way they are, it is very possible to convince the lender to make a modification to the loan to something that can be paid monthly. They have said it takes two years. It takes one day for them to pull the late payments from your records. The next month comes, and no credit agency can pick it up. This is one way, and the best way. The problem many people have is they get intimidated by the lender. If you can prove to the lender or servicer (student loans are sold like mortgages) that you are at risk of default, they should work with you. It is really hard, and you really have to push for it. You can even push them to get your name off the loan for certain amount, say bringing it current, and that is your real goal as stated in your question. The lenders, from real estate, to automobiles to credit cards are really hurting right now. They are in a position to negotiate, and you need to keep pushing, And I mean push them hard. A reputable consumer counseling agency in your area can assist you with this as well.

The only real other option you have is to refinance the debt, and pay off the loan which bears your name. You will have a higher interest rate, or I say your son should, but it will get your name off the loan because through refinancing, the loan is paid off. Please make sure to check for any prepayment penalties.

Interests rates are at an all time low right now. I would not suggest refinancing, but for, these low rates. This won't be easy, but if you really push it, you will be surprised by the results.


Should you require further clarification, please never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify issues related to your question.

If you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT button. Feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!




Just Answer! acts as a venue for entertainment purposes only. Responses and comments on Just Answer! are for general information and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (such as medical, legal, investment, accounting, or tax), and do not establish a professional-client relationship. As such, Just Answer! retains 100% of the price/deposit you set for your question, and will only distribute 50% to experts when a customer accepts an answer. Just Answer! is not intended or designed to address EMERGENCY QUESTIONS which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service. Any information given by me is not offered as, nor is it intended to be, considered legal advice in any way, shape, or form, and shall be treated as procedural information only. Per Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 6450 et. al., Paralegals or Legal Assistants cannot give legal advice. The information herein is not exhaustive. You should always seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney in your state.

Financeer and 3 other Finance Specialists are ready to help you