How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  MBA, CPA
Type Your Finance Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do we need to file a 1041 for my fathers estate

This answer was rated:

Do we need to file a 1041 for my father's estate? After the debts, attorney and burial, there is a remaining balance of less than 9000 each for my brother and I. I am the administrator.
His estate consisted of 10000 from Auto Insurance death benfit, 27000 from the sell of his trailer and a time share worth 2000 that we are keeping; therefore I will assume that will raise the benefit to approx. 10000 each.

The fiduciary of a domestic decedent's estate, trust, or bankruptcy estate uses Form 1041 to report:

  • The income, deductions, gains, losses, etc. of the estate or trust;

  • The income that is either accumulated or held for future distribution or distributed currently to the beneficiaries;

  • Any income tax liability of the estate or trust; and

  • Employment taxes on wages paid to household employees.

The fiduciary (or one of the joint fiduciaries) must file Form 1041 for a domestic estate that has:

  1. Gross income for the tax year of $600 or more, or

  2. A beneficiary who is a nonresident alien.

Death benefit is generally not taxable and so is not included in gross income. Capital gain on sale of trailer will be included in the tax return. However, if you sell it in a short time after the death, there is not gain since the cost basis is stepped upto fair market value. So if the gross income is not $600 or more you are not required to file FOrm 1041 and hence, the attorney may be right.


Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.

RD and 2 other Finance Specialists are ready to help you