Leigh
Leigh, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
108402607

Divorce question. In the process of divorce proceedings for

divorce question
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Yes in the process of divorce proceedings for the past 2 years. Need help to a specific question
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: MA
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: as long as they are a divorce attorney that can help

Hi there this is Leigh, an attorney. Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hey, Leigh. I had a specific question regarding my divorce case, which has been on going for the past 2 years. I separated from my spouse in the state of MA, and the divorce has been drawn out and pretty ugly. I am the CEO of a company which is backed by investor's money. I run a business in MA and have a legitimate branch in Belgium. My ex and I did not share children together. In the state of MA, all pre-marital assets I earned were off the table, yet my ex tried to get a piece of that. She was denied by the judge. After my separation my company handlings started to get affected by the divorce, and I created 2 new companies after we had separated. In the state of MA, any earnings after separation are also off the table to my understanding. The opposition is trying their very best in doing a smear campaign against me and my ex has made some terrible claims, because her goal is to get 50% of all of my current earnings and companies which were created before the marriage and after separating. I am a cash cow to my current lawyers who are in no rush to be aggressive and settle this for good. This is my question:
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
My ex had a well paying job of 100K and has said she left it due to depression and "health" issues which she never had during our marriage. I believe she has left her current job in MA but is working remotely from home where her family resides in CA. How can I prove this to the court? She has dissected my finances, we have had multiple discovery phases on both sides, and I have disproven all of her claims against my character for 2 years. I am scoping out other aggressive divorce attorneys in my area, but want to know how I can access proof that my ex is indeed lying about her financial status and trying to get a bigger payout with this divorce?

Ok give me just a minute to review all your statements I'll be right back.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I need to prove that she hasn't left her company and is working remotely, and I also want proof from a medical doctor of her medical history stating she is unable to work.

So this is tough, I completely understand what you are saying and that is a shame about your attorneys wanting to take your money rather than be aggressive and do the right thing. So you are trying to prove that she quit a higher paying job, trying to blame her health problems.

Have your attorneys done any discovery? Interrogatories.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
one sec
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We have done discovery phases. She keeps making claims that are unfounded are not truthful to get a bigger payout. I want to know how I can legally obtain information her doctor stating she has legitimate health issues for not working. And #2 I want to see if she is working for her company at this point remotely, when she said she quit.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She stands to receive millions by just my company alone. But these are assets earned pre-maritally and post separation again. Her family is in debt, and she has fired several lawyers at this point because she was on back-pay in paying their fees. She is in debt because of this divorce and wants me to pay her lawyer fees. When we said no, she "quit" her job and starting having "health" issues.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
you there?

Yes sorry one sec.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok

So in discovery you can flat out ask, are you unable to work due to a disability/illness/disease, etc., if so, provide all information. I would have your attorney send pointed questions of that nature to obtain that information for sure. It happens all the time.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We already had a discovery phase. the judge said we will be going to trial
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i am well aware of what a discovery phase is- we have had multiple over the past few years. her lawyers even flew to Belgium to see if i was hiding assets to see if they could get a bigger payout. i just want this to end and prove the ex is a lawyer.

So you can send MORE discovery is what I am stating. Or do a motion to extend discovery, that is how you get this information.

If the judge will not allow it, then you will not be able to get that information is what I am saying. At trial of course your attorney can cross examine your ex about health isuees etc.

Ok well if you do not want to do or cannot do more, then really just question through cross examination is the only way you can do this. OR subpoena her ex employer etc.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
what about the false health claims? can i subpoena her doctors?

You can subpoena her doctors but they will say that it is protected by hipaa... you can always try. I think they will object though. I think you can ask her to provide proof and cross examine her on it. But yes I would subpoena her doctors but again I am not sure they will testify.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
she hired a business analyst who is privy to all my assets and health issues and they did not need a subpoena
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the ex tried to subpoena my phone and text records but were denied.

For business that make sense, but not for your health...Absolutely not. But speak to your attorney about subpoena her medical records and doctor.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
will do. this case is a bit more complicated. should i involve a criminal defense?

Yes anytime you have any business it is absolutely more involved and the more successful the business(es) the more complicated. I don't think a criminal defense attorney would be necessary, no.

Is there anything else I can help you with/

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
thank you for your time.

You are welcome. best of luck. PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT ANSWER, OR RATE ME 4-5 STARS. IT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID FOR ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS ON HERE. OR YOU CAN TYPE IN 'ACCEPT ANSWER, 5 STARS' INTO THE CHAT BOX. THANK YOU AND BEST OF LUCK!!