How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Israel Whitbeck Your Own Question
Israel Whitbeck
Israel Whitbeck,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1043
Experience:  Senior Associate at Benson Bingham
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Israel Whitbeck is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is threatening to file for child custody in his

This answer was rated:

My husband is threatening to file for child custody in his favor and legal separation after he has hit me, can he do that? I called the cops that night and they did not do anything.. then I went to the magistrates and they suggested to press charges, but I didn’t due to fear
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can show screenshots of the messages and threats he is sending me

Hello my name is Israel and I'm a licensed attorney. I am I can help answer your legal questions. Please feel free to ask me any follow-up questions after my initial response and remember to please give me a five star rating when we're finished so that I may receive credit for my response.

Please respond so that I know you are there.


Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am here

you should totally press charges... and yes he can file for separation but so can you.... you will likely get 50-50 custody

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Even if I press charges will he likely get 50-50?
Yes more than likely unless you can show that he's a danger to the children. What other questions do you have?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What is the benefit of pressing charges if that does not affect the amount of custody he has?
Do I need to sign paperwork as well to be legally separated?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What if I wanted to make an agreement about going to counseling classes and he wanted divorce?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If I weren’t to press charges would I still be able to say that he has hit me and harassed me?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What happens if one person wants to work things out and the other person doesn’t?
He says he has packed up all my belongings and got rid of a lot of my stuff, can he do that legally?
No he can't you are entitled to stay in your place
Israel Whitbeck and 11 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Have all of your questions been answered? If so please do not forget to accept the answer and give me a five star rating located on the top of the page so that I may get credit for my time. I sincerely appreciate it!