How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S Johnson Your Own Question
S Johnson
S Johnson, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 183
Experience:  Owner at Solo Practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding community property division

This answer was rated:

I have a question regarding community property division during a divorce
JA: Was the property purchased during the marriage?
Customer: Yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: i would say yes. We still owe on the mortgage and live in the state of texas
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: spouse said he is willing to let me and children live in the house and he will continue to pay mortgage

Hi I am Eileen and I will assist you. This is just general information, not legal advice, no attorney client relationship is created.

I have some questions Is he going to grant the house to you or is this some sort of child support or spousal support?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Child support and the house

So what he is saying is that the mortgage payments are child support, and the house is your portion of community property? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Mortgage payment in addition to child support

Wow, OK, this sounds good but honestly I would not sign anything without having a lawyer review it, there is too much potential for him to renig later. So a useful procedure would be have him give you a proposed settlement (which lists ALL community property) and have a local lawyer review it. This keeps you from regretting it later.

BUt it should not cost a lot. Do you know a lawyer or can I help you find one?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't have one just yet

OK, ask around of course but try this too: Its like Yelp for lawyers

You can see reviews from clients, get a feel for price, write to inquire about an interview. Great site

If you want big guns, go for the American Academy of Matrimonial lawyers, Best Lawyers in America,

Don't play games with this Remember: child support is NOT forever.

This agreement must be worded very carefully. Not something we can do here. But now you know how to protect yourself and more importantly your children

Does this help?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Great thanks

Wonderful, glad to help. May I ask a favor? JA will not credit us if we are not ranked for a question. If you could be so kind as to give me 5 stars (upper right) it would sure help me, and I would appreciate it. I have my fingers crossed for a good outcome for you and your children

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Will do. Thank u so much

Thank you ,and best of luck to you

S Johnson and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Same to you