How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Bradley Your Own Question
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5288
Experience:  retired after 25 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael Bradley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Parents rights regarding Department of social services.

Customer Question

Parents rights regarding Department of social services
JA: What steps have the parents taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Someone at school made a report , I'm not sure what the actual accusation and now they want to come into my house
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm trying to gather information so I don't get trampled and bullied by social services about my parental rights and what I can do
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 8 days ago.
Since a report has been given to the department, they are required to investigate it. When they come to the house they will fill you in with regards to the allegations. A home investigation is not uncommon. At this point I would not be overly concerned as this is something that the agency always does. As long as the house is in good shape, has electricity and ample food there should not be an issue. It is all part of the process. It would be my recommendation to cooperate at this point
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
So I have to let them in to my home
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 8 days ago.
In theory you can refuse them entry but as a result of that they could file a petition independency Court and make a request to receive a court order for a home investigation. It is a common occurrence when the agency investigates any matter to come to the house
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My 16 yr old wrote 3 emails indicating that he was going to harm himself, I didn't take him to the doctor or emergency room initially because I didn't see the need at that moment I have since taken him to both the doctor and to receive a psych evaluation, and the social worker said , she still needs to conduct her own evaluation and wants use to fill out paperwork and conduct background checks on both parents
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As I called around to seek services for my son I came to find out several places in the area didn't take my insurance,they said I was not working hard enough to seek help,I understand that their job is to ensure the wellbeing of children, I just don't want to be intimidated and bullied by them, my children are well in school and play sports and are not any different to other children their age,
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 3 days ago.

you should not be bullied, I agree

the idea of you not doing enough is a purely matter of opinion

from what you have described you did more than enough

in my opinion I would not be worried about the home visit

the fact that the social worker is on your side is very helpful for you as well