Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

In Oregon is there an adult guardianship for financial

Customer Question

In Oregon is there an adult guardianship for financial reasons?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Oregon family court?
Customer: No, I wasn’t sure it was legal. My granddaughter is 18 and wants to go to college. I am 100% service connected veteran that can give her college funding under Chapter 35 if I have guardianship or adopt her.
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No we haven’t
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

1. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.
  2. The law in Oregon will not allow you to obtain guardianship over her unless she is incapacitated. They would allow you to adopt her, which could then allow you to use your benefits for her college. However, for guardianship of an adult it requires she have some incapacity that required a guardian.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page (bottom on the App), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. If you think you have given the expert credit for their time just by paying the site fee, YOU DID NOT it was only a deposit, sorry for that confusion caused by the site. Even if you have a membership, you still have to leave positive feedback on every new question, it does not cost you anything more, or we experts get zero credit when you do not leave positive feedback each question.Thank you.

Thank you for using our site. Did you have any further questions about this for us?

If not, please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page (bottom on the App), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. If you think you have given the expert credit for their time just by paying the site fee, YOU DID NOT it was only a deposit, sorry for that confusion caused by the site. Even if you have a membership, you still have to leave positive feedback on every new question, it does not cost you anything more, or we experts get zero credit when you do not leave positive feedback each question. Thank you.