Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like a quick divorce. No minor children. Assets?LA.

Customer Question
I would like a...

I would like a quick divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?

No minor children

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by state.

Assets?LA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am thinking

Submitted: 11 days ago.Category: Family Law
7/11/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 11 days ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

There is a waiting period you must go through before your divorce. In Louisiana, the waiting period is 180 days after filing or the service of a divorce petition. That means that you and your spouse may not live together and must be separate for approximately six months before you can file for your actual divorce to become final. This is even if you agree on everything and want an uncontested divorce.

In terms of your marital assets -anything acquired during marriage - Louisiana is a community property state. That means that most people have to divide their assets evenly, not equitably. If you don't want to equally divide your assets, you will need to come up with a property division plan before you go to court. You and your spouse can make any type of agreement you're happy with and the judge should agree barring any circumstances that make the division unacceptable.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
e.g. we have a boat, a house, 2 cars, retirement? What happens?

If those are all marital assets, you generally would split them equally (though you could decide on a different agreement). So, for example, you each take a car, and each keep your own retirement accounts. With respect to the boat, if one party wants it, they could give the other spouse a share of other assets, like a larger percentage of their retirement account, or household furnishings. Or, you could agree to sell the boat and split the proceeds.

With respect to the marital home, if one spouse wants to take over the mortgage (if you have one) it would require them getting a loan in their own name to refinance, and then executing a deed to take the other spouse off of it.

However, you may simply wish to list the home and split any proceeds remaining.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Thank your

You're welcome! Please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Will do. Please let me know how to avoid any additional charges besides the $5.00
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
How did $5 go $39.00

I don't set the pricing on the site -I cannot see what customers are charged or anything like that - that's strictly customer service. Experts have no access to customer accounts. But I can tell you that there is the $5 deposit when you ask the question, and then a fee when you get your answer.

You can email customer service at***@******.*** and they'll be happy to take care of it.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
When will it stop

When will what stop?

Anything to do with billing customer service will be happy to help with. I don't know if they are 24/7 but I'm sure someone will get back to you ASAP.

I can't tell you specifically because again, experts like myself have no access to customer accounts or billing. I am literally here strictly to answer questions from customers.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I would like to cancel my request
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 days ago

I sent it to customer service, but experts don't have access to customer accounts or billing, as I mentioned. You may get a faster response from customer service by emailing***@******.***. They'll be happy to help!