How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5702
Experience:  Attorney licensed for 17 years specializing in various fields.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a father who is in the military get complete custody of

This answer was rated:

Can a father who is in the military get complete custody of a newborn baby if the mother doesn't want the child but wants to put the baby up for adoption? He is already taking child care lessons. the baby is due in July.
JA: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?
Customer: NC
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what does he need to do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mother told father of baby that she lost the baby but she lied and he just found out

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

The father has the same rights as the mother and you can not place for adoption without his consent. If you want to block the adoption you can as in order to get the adoption they need your consent as well. If the mother does not want the baby then you can take the baby. It does not matter if you are in the military although you will need to take care of that aspect and have the baby cared for. The mother can still get custody after the baby is born if she wants to try to petition for it (the Judge will have to decide who should be primary in the best interests of the child). Any adoption done without fathers consent can be considered an illegal adoption and can be stopped. In most cases if the mother is not married and both mother and father agree to adoption they may do a paternity test to make sure that he is the father.

An unmarried birth father has certain rights to block or terminate a adoption proceeding, but has to meet certain legal requirements:

  1. Establish Paternity: If the biological father of a child wishes to stop that child from being adopted, he must file a court action to establish his parental rights by proving that he is the father of the child through a DNA paternity test.
  2. Commit to the Child: an unmarried father will not be allowed to block an adoption unless he has taken every reasonable measure to accept his responsibilities toward the child and mother. Consistent economic support such as paying her medical bills and sending her child support is probably necessary.
  3. Make Regular Visits and Communicate: A father must also be involved in the child’s life by trying to commit to the child by communicating and conducting regular visits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be numbers from 1-5 or smiley faces next to my answer to choose from. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. See link on how to rate:

Thank you in advance.

Christopher B, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you