Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I are guardian of a 16 year old. We have no…

My husband and I...

My husband and I are guardian of a 16 year old. We have no child support order. In addition we were guardian of our 18 year old granddaughterfrom may 2 2016 until her 18th birthday april 9, 2018. What is the best proceedure to collect continuing child support for the 16 yr old and back child support for the 18 year old.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet, didnt know if that was first step or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

AZ, parents of children are in Mo.

6/24/2018
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

I did not send the telephone request, that is automatically generated by the site. Just FYI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do not wish a phone call please send written answer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i see that it is

Unfortunately, support orders are generally limited to commencing on the date of the petition is filed. A court will not give you an order for back child support if a petition has not been filed. If there is an order in place for child support between the parents, you can get an order directing payment to you from the court that issued it. It is also difficult to get child support if you do not have court ordered custody. You will need to hire an attorney specialized in family law for this procedure. You will need to file a motion with the court (it is hard to have standing without court ordered custody) for support. If you do not have court ordered custody, you will need to file for custody (generally you can ask for support at that time).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be numbers from 1-5 or smiley faces next to my answer to choose from. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.

Christopher B, Esq.