Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

One of my moms friends has guardianship over my little

Jackie one of my...

Jackie one of my moms friends has guardianship over my little sister because my mom is a drug attic and is incapable of raising her and her father is deceased due to a heroine overdoes I’m currently in the marine corp stationed in San Diego and while this was all happening I was in training so I was unaware I’m 21 years old and I’m married and live in a two bedroom house my wife is also in the military she is in the navy I want to take my sister from her current guardian I’ve heard she uses drug currently and don’t have the best living conditions I’m not sure on how to start this process

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any guardianship papers been filed in CA family court?

This is done in Illinois but Jackie did get guardianship through the court not my mother

Lawyer's Assistant: Do the biological parents consent to the guardianship?

Yes My biological mom would sign any paperwork I need to take her out of her Custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is pretty much it

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you ma’am

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

What you can do is file a motion in Illinois to terminate Jackie's guardianship and appoint yourself (and your wife, if you want) as your sister's guardian.

Here is a trustworthy Illinois Legal Aid society page about guardianship. It's possible you may qualify for free legal representation; at least it's worth asking.

You can use the forms whether you financially qualify for Legal Aid services or not.

Sue

I'm sorry I cannot take a live phone call at this time.

I'm happy to continue to assist you in this format, if you like. Otherwise, I can return you to the experts page.

What would you prefer?

Sue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s fine can I be refunded that money or no?

As you scroll down the page on the right, you'll see this link for terminating an existing guardianship.

If you don't qualify for Legal Aid services, you may be able to proceed on your own, or you may wish to retain an IL attorney.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to whether you can be refunded the phone call money. Do you see a way on your screen to ask for the JA Moderator?

Sue

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Please let me know if there is more I can help you with.

Sue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m on the phone with an attorney now thank you sue

You're welcome.

Best wishes,

Sue