Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

When 1 party files for divorce, is the divorce filing

When 1 party files...

When 1 party files for divorce, is the divorce filing public

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes and 2nd party has been served with the filing by a process server. So can a 3rd party go to the chancery clerk and request a copy of the divorce papers?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes how can you twll how many actions have been filed against the 2nd party, *tell

6/24/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Yes, divorce filings -like almost all court filings - are public record, so anyone could access them.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** has also been told that 60 actions, has been filed against them, to include, no contact, does the defending party jave to be served papers stating these actions?

The first party can get a temporary protective order if they can show they are in danger (the accused party would not be at this hearing), but they would be served with a copy of the temporary protective order, and as soon as service has been carried out, the order will become effective.

So, either the first party just recently got the protective order and service hasn't been carried out yet, or they'll full of it.