Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I lived in NJ while we were married. The one-yr…

My wife and I...

My wife and I lived in NJ while we were married. The one-yr anniversary of that residence will be on the 26th of June. I still hold the lease on an apartment in NJ but I believe my wife may have already left her apartment and moved out of state. To further complicate things, I would like to break the lease on my apartment and move as well although I have not yet done so. Can I file for divorce in the state of NJ? What will happen if I do, and then wish to move before the action is completed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NJ family court?

I have gathered what I hope is the entirety of the paperwork I need from www.completecase.com. But I have not signed or filed anything as yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that our residency questions are the only complications in our case. We share no property, no debt, no children, and no ill-will.

6/24/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Yes, you can move after filing for divorce. But you should make sure that the court has your address (to be notified of anything) and that you either have an attorney or will be able to appear for future hearings unless your appearance is waived.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer