Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 16 year old granddaughter wants out of her dads house…

My 16 year old...

My 16 year old granddaughter wants out of her dads house because verbal and emotional abuse by her dad and stepmom. She has written some pretty heartbreaking things in her journal about not being “good enough

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Yes we have. We had letters a few years back from his (Dad’s) family telling of the abuse and never got past the referee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Referee said it was difference in parenting style. ‘Step mom keeps telling her she is trouble and will end up like her friend Chloe who committed suicide 2 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

No/......not me. We read things in my granddaughters journal that She feels worthless because she can’t do anything right at her dad and stepmoms house

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you?

She said she will run away if she has to go back to dads house on Monday. I’m very concerned. Can she legally leave the custodial parents home (dad)

6/23/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

I am sorry you are going through this. You may attempt to file in family court since it has been a few years since the last time you tried. You may be more successful this time because your granddaughter is 16 and based on that age the courts are more likely to listen to the child's choice of residence. Also, you may bring the argument that it is in the best interest of your granddaughter to leave the house for her mental health. There is a good possibility that the judge will want to speak to your granddaughter directly to hear her side of the living arrangement.

Just because it did not work a few years ago does not bar you from trying again.

What happens if she doesn’t return to that home on Monday. This process could take a while to go through the court. She has an appointment with her doctor on Monday. Any hope she can get emergent mental help?
I should have known this was a scam

If she doesn't return on Monday then her father could report her missing or as a runaway.

I'm sorry I do not understand by what you mean this is a scam? I am a licensed attorney answering your questions.

The fact it’s asking me to pay $59. I appreciate your help.

Justanswer will ask if you want a phone call for extra fee but you can ignore that request. It does not come from me.

Ok good to know.

No problem! Sorry for the confusion.

Back to your question. If you believe your granddaughter is imminent danger, in case of emergency you can contact 911 to have her admitted and evaluated.

Do you think her father would report her as a runaway to the police if she does not return home as scheduled?

he would call the police and blame the mother

The mother may file an emergency Motion on Monday stating her daughter is imminent harm.

That sounds like a good plan. In the meantime she is with her mom this weekend and has a great relationship with her so my granddaughter is in a safe environment. She wants to live with her mom.
Thank you for your help. I’m sorry I doubted this site. I don’t doubt your ability licensing or advice.

No problem! Please let me know if I may be of assistance in the future. Please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

Jessica B