Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If divorce declares "not spousal support/alimony as of a…

If divorce declares "not...

If divorce declares "not spousal support/alimony as of a specific date and husband pays the wife a personal amount of money and then declares it a spousal support.....can this actually be considered income to the wife?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

No court orders. Only divorce papers MSA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

MSA orders husband to amend his retirement pension for a portion to be paid to wife.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Califonia

6/23/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No if he is paying you money here and its not court ordered support it is considered a gift and there are no taxes on it and he cannot deduct it.He needs to motion to modify here if he want to deduct this amount from his taxes and it has to be done by Dec.31,2018 before the law changes.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer