Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I sue my ex husband for lying about our divorce

Customer Question
Can I sue my...

Can I sue my ex husband for lying about our divorce agreement ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Our divorce is final

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Massachusetts

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
6/23/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

To whom did he lie? What was the consequence? Can you explain what happened?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He lied to me. I did not have a lawyer. I had been depressed for years and I didn't know what to do.

I'm sorry to hear about that. What did he lie about. What happened with the divorce decree?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He lied about his income and used my kids to guilt me. He stole money and was cheating for a few years.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He wrote up the divorce degree and convinced me to sign it.

I'm sorry to hear about that. How did he force you to sign it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He convinced me saying he had already contacted a lawyer and that was all I would get. I couldn't afford a lawyer so I did it. We were married for 25 years

I'm sorry to hear about that. How long ago was the divorce final?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
December 2016

I see. Ok, so the final question. Is the issue what you're getting in alimony or what you got in property division?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my issue is alimony

I see. So, you have a couple of options:

1.You could ask your ex informally to pay more money. This will keep you out of court

2. You could go to court and tell the court that he a) lied and b) that you need a greater alimony amount. You'd have to show proof he's lying or proof that you need more $ than what you are getting; however, it is your next best step.

3. You could sue your husband for fraud or make a motion for contempt of court.

4. You could refer your case to the DA for perjury if he lied to the judge about his income.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have asked him several times for a small amount more, He wont answer my calls or texts. Do my health issues come into play anywhere ?

It could help, but so long as they are related to your fiances. Just being in bad health isn't enough, but having significant medical debts or having an inability to work could help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I work full time. At one point I was working 2 jobs. I helped him build 2 companies and got nothing. I have had type 1 diabetes for 36 years and have out of pocket medical expenses.

I see what you mean. So, I would be sure to get some notes from your doc, any approvals for disability that you may have received, and any proof of your income as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more thing. What type of lawyer should I contact ?

You're welcome. It'd be a divorce attorney.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. If you click here, you can see a full list of all of the lawyer referral services throughout the country. You can also search for attorneys on a website called Lawyer Legion (click here) that scours all 50 states based on the kind of attorney you need. Finally, if you qualify, you can get pro bono help in your state. If you click here, you can see a full list of pro bono associations compiled by the U.S. Dept. of Justice.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?