Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have questions about custody. The mother has two

I have questions about...

I have questions about custody

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

The mother has two daughters. One of them I have been around since she was 9 months old which was around four years ago. She knows me as dad and I think of her as my daughter. Her father has seen her for less than 4 hours in the last four years. The mother and father are still legally married. Her second daughter is mine and I am on the birth certificate. The mother and I have been dating until about 4 months ago. A couple of weeks ago we found out she was pregnant, presumable with my child. I made a stupid one time mistake so I thought it was mine. Now she is 8 weeks pregnant. I just found out that she has been texting my sisters husband and sending him pictures. My sister found these on her husband's phone. In their text message conversation, they are talking about letting me believe I am the father for now and that they will work out how they will be together later. The two of them are unaware that I and my sister know what is going on. My sister lives 3 hours away. She is taking her kids and coming down here in a couple of days. I am scared for my two girl's safety. I'm scared she will run away with them.. Right now, I have them when she works and she has them when she's off work. They basically are with both of us equally. Do I at least have the right not to give my blood related daughter to her when she is off of work in a couple days? Is it possible to get custody of both of them if the father of the first born were to give me parental guardianship? I live in Illinois as well as their mother. The first born's father lives in Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that when this gets to court, I will have a big advantage in terms of looking reliable. She has no car and almost no family. Plus she's slept with my sister's husband. How difficult is it to prove that she is unfit?

6/23/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I am very sorry you had to go through thisWhat outcome do you envision at this point?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ideal outcome would be that I have sole custody of both of her daughters
This can be done by motion showing it’s in children best interests. Court more likely to grant where children desire it and should be handled by local family law counsel.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm very concerned about whether there is a chance to get sole custody of a child that I have no legal rights to but have been a father towards for from before her 1st birthday until almost her 5th. Is there any chance a court would grant me custody? And would obtaining legal guardianship from the childs father make it more favorable for me?
It is possible albeit harder to pursue. Having the father so consent would help. As would having counsel locally who knows the judges and can leverage the facts in your favor!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** needed to know that there was a chance. I will follow through with your advice until I can get an attorney on Monday. Thank you.
Very welcome. Good luck.
Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!You are also welcome to leave a bonus after rating. Much appreciated!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question if you don't mind. If she flees with my daughter (I am on her birth certificate) is she breaking any laws? There is no written custody agreement.
You would file a motion and can alert the police. That should not happen without consent or an order in place.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer