Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband owes child support in Rhode Island. He is a dual…

Hello, my husband owes...

Hello, my husband owes child support in Rhode Island. He is a dual citizen living abroad and would like to know the status of his child support case. His kids are above 18 and no longer studying.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in RI family court?

No actions at all and no communication from child support agencies for the last 10+ years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. ok thanks

6/23/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello. What can I answer?
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, the questions are: how can we find out the status of the process without stirring up too much attention from the agency, namely knowing if there is a court order for arrest or a blockage in his passport. Could a lawyer look into that for us? Also what are the chances that the whole process is archived since the beneficiaries are adults. Finally what could be the implications if he shows up at a consulate to get our son's passport renewed (he was born in the us) or to ask for citizenship for our daughter (born abroad). Thanks
A local lawyer can inquire.
Not likely archived unless several years old and closed. If active would be available.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about the implications of a visit at the consulate?
No adverse implication unless misleading about having authority and consent, in which case application could be denied and conduct reviewed by the court on application.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If there was a court decision or warrant for an arrest, would we have received communication of that at our address abroad (it is in the agency files)?
you would have received notice.Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!
Infolawyer, Lawyer