Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am considering an uncontested divorce. I live in Texas and…

I am considering an...

I am considering an uncontested divorce. I live in Texas and inherited a house when my parents died. Is it considered community property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

I have not filed, yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have been married for almost 20 years.

6/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your possible pending divorce.

Inheritances are considered to be separate property -- ie. inheritances are not subject to division as a marital asset.

As long as you kept the house in your name only, and did not refinance a mortgage jointly, or add your spouse to the deed, then it should not be considered to have been commingled, and should have retained protected status as an inheritance.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Nisha Jones

I hope that helps!