Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Currently live with my boyfriend, now ex and will be moving

Currently live with my boyfriend, now ex and will be moving out soon. I solely purchased most of the items in the apartment. For example, TVs, AC, couch, microwave, bed, mattress... He did not contribute to this purchase at all. Am I legally entitled to take them with me when I move out?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: New York
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I able to undo upgrades I did to the apartment that I paid for ?For example, I spend $5600 on a new floor.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure, thank you.

Thanks for your patience. Unlike a marriage, parties who are living together do not have to split their property at the time of the relationship's end. This means that if you purchased those items, then they are yours. Unless you gave them to him as a gift or unless you promised him that he would have an ownership interest, you can take them with you when you move out.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you... My other questions is pertaining to me upgrading the apartment by spending $5600 on a new wood floor. Can I remove the wood panels when I move out?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am choosing not to use the call option. Are you still able to assist pertaining to the floor.

Yes, you can. I would work out a solution with him that allows you to take what you need out of the home such that it won't cause him to try to call the police and you having to deal with their investigation of everything. The cops will consider it a civil matter, but it could still be a hassle.

Did you have any other questions for me at all today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!